I am a man. I’ve been a man for a long time. I’m also an intellectual. I was a precocious child. For a while, I was a thug. Some would argue—incorrectly—I still am. I’m a martial artist. Not gifted or polished. But I know what I know. I can apply those skill sets in a street self-defense situation with little effort. So those who know that part of my background would call me an intelligent thug. But like most folks, I’m more than the sum of my parts. And yet—I’m scared. Not of people. Not of violence. Not of hardship. I’ve never been scared of anyone or anything in my life. But I see the precursors of something we’ve never faced before in this country. I see thoughtful, highly educated people defending a common criminal, conflating loyalty with legitimacy, and rationalizing the erosion of constitutional guardrails. What’s forming isn’t just conflict—it’s total collapse. And before we even get to that point, we need to confront what’s already happened. A high court, scared out of i...
Many years ago, a close friend of mine with an MSW—a retired spokesperson for a social service agency in New York—shared with me her biographical experiences at a historically Black college and university (HBCU) in North Carolina, where she had secured employment shortly after relocating to be closer to her aging mother. Her move was motivated by family (her brother was also down there), but also by a desire to remain professionally engaged in a region that, at least on the surface, seemed to offer cultural familiarity and institutional alignment with her values. What she found, however, was a deeply entrenched system of tribalism—one that operated not through overt hostility, but through subtle codes of exclusion, status maintenance, and territorial behavior. I listened carefully to her account, not merely as a friend but as an astute student of both human and group dynamics. Her experience mirrored my own recent encounters at two separate HBCUs in Maryland (albeit years apart), where...
The unions voted overwhelmingly for this nut. Don't believe the hype or what their leadership is saying. You can hear the hollow echo of their paid endorsements bouncing off the walls of deserted factories across the rust belt, but the membership, the actual men and women with dirt under their fingernails and bills in their hands, they pulled the lever for him anyway. It’s a spectacular, nauseating display of manufactured consent masking genuine, deep-seated economic anxiety that was cynically exploited and then thoroughly betrayed. The leadership puts out statements about job protection and collective bargaining, yet their collective endorsement was nothing more than political stagecraft, a rubber stamp on a strategy of self-destruction. The rank and file fell for the spectacle, the bombast, the sheer, theatrical lie of the strongman act, and now the entire working class is left holding the empty bag, wondering where the hell the promised boom went. The man never built anything. T...
Comments
Post a Comment